View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool French?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Funny you should post this today, as I just looked at this bass and thought its outer linings and plate tuning gears inconsistent with the French attribution.

http://www.uptonbass.com/mid-ninetee...-upright-bass/

What do you think?
These are some of the kinds of Basses we see mis-marketed as French because of the Shoulders and Purfling going around. These features as well as on the bigger Orchestra Basses like my first pic shown made in Germany were done to look less typical than the commercial Shop Basses that were exported to USA in great numbers in the early-mid 20th century.

The Gears are German for one but possibly not original. The age is less that advertised in my opinion and the Origin is German as well. If French, then who made it? What Shop? I think this is closer to 1900 or slightly after. That roundback is Germanic in its arching as well. I have seen a few of this style Bass marketed as French before which I think is incorrect. Don't get me wrong here on the quality. They are nicely made. Just not in France or in the mid 19th century.

About 5 years ago after joining an Orchestra I turn around to look at the Bass behind me and asked "is that a French Bass?".. The Reply; "no, it's German." .. It looks a bit similar to the one you referenced but did not have the outer Linings at all. It actually had a German label from 1903. I would have guessed 1860-1880 by its looks and French origin as well. Early 20th century makers like Alfred Meyer made French looking sloped shouldered Basses but in Germany. The molding strip across the Neck area is typical German and seen in Mittenwald Basses as well as from some shops further north.

Ok, back on topic..