View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Jones View Post
Can you use the lack of moldings as a clue to the age of a bass?
I think the Moldings started about 200 years ago or so. I have seen a few English Basses supposedly from the late 18th century and one Italian Bass with them. If their dates are correct then they precede the Germans. I haven't seen many German Basses with Moldings from before 1800 but then again, their Basses are rarely dated inside.

Basses from 400 years ago didn't have them and Chinese Basses made tomorrow don't either.

I don't think Moldings account for much when dating a Bass. I have seen one old German Bass where the Moldings looked to be added after the Bass was made.

The Germans I believe are the ones that have used outer Moldings most uniformly for the past 120 years or so. Prior to that, the usage of Moldings in Germanic Basses or lack of Moldings were kind of mixed as were the methods of making from Shops, to Factories to Individuals.

If it's a German 'thing' by nature as far as inception goes then maybe it was robust durability that they were after. One thing that can be said about German engineering overall is; 'they build them strong'. Basses, Doors, Tanks.. you get the picture..

Strong doesn't always equate to 'good' especially where sound is concerned.