View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Removing them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
So, would you advocate removing them from non pedigree basses? Or are they designed to work in tandem with the inside linings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I've seen a bass or two where they were removed. The overhangs were thus kind of wide. Also, there's a cosmetic issue to deal with. I have often reduced the inside linings to a fraction of their original thickness, which helps things some.
First off, removing them might present a finish touch-up challenge. If it improves the Bass, then who cares unless it is a high grade type Pedigree.

Here is one example where it could help. I saw an old German Bass one day where the Top and Back were either flush with the Ribs in places (no lip showing) or less than flush from shrinkage. If the Moldings were removed here, it would save some work shortening the Ribs at the Blocks or widening the Pates at the center joint which is also another remedy but way more costly. Still, touch-up would be a big job.

The sound might be improved as well which would easily off-set any value argument in my opinion from the alteration if it was an improvement.

My Martini shown above has wide flat outer Moldings and when it was last opened for some repairs I believe Arnold did trim the inside Linings a bit. That Bass sounds better every time I play it.

I saw one French Bass where the inner Linings were 2x as thick and 2x as wide as needed, maybe more. That is at least 4x the mass. They were reduced I believe when the Bass was restored and some improvement was noticed. Will all the other work performed, it's hard to say exactly what did what.