Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road
Default Juzek NY ?

copied from my post on TB ( hope that's OK - I'd like Ken to see it before tomorrow night...)

I've got an appointment to look at a bass tomorrow that's described by the seller (from Craigslist) as a ca. 1900 Juzek made in New York. This information was based on inscirptions inside the instrument, but I have not personally verified this. The seller also erroneously (I hope) continues to describe this bass as a 'Jasek', but when I responded 'Juzek' didn't correct me.

Looking through the threads yielded by a search for Juzek, this attribution to NY doesn't seem to make sense - or am I missing something?

The seller is asking $3000, but mentioned a willingness to negotiate, based on the fingerboard starting to separate from the neck. If I like the way it sounds and plays, I'm seriously considering buying this and having it repaired - only my third purchase in the last 20 years. I've played a few other basses recently for comparison, so I have an idea of what I'm looking for sound-wise, but I feel like I'm going into this decision under-qualified from an investment standpoint.

Investment-wise, I'm also concerned about re-sale value. Basically, I have a policy of investing in instruments instead of keeping thousands of dollars in savings for a rainy day fund. I don't really NEED another bass, but I have about $3000 available that isn't earning significant interest that I can spend.

Any thoughts on what I should look for when checking out this bass in person or in terms of what level Juzek it is?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and most effective before Thursday evening, PST.

- Tanglehead