Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Origin or the outer Rib Linings/Moldings..

I am starting this thread to explore the origin or the outer Rib Linings or Moldings as sometimes referred to.

Usually we equate this to just German School work (German/Czech border work as well) but I have seen Italian and English and American Basses with outer Linings as well. I have never seen a 'real' French Bass with Linings other than a few Basses from Hawkes that are referred to as French as well as a few others that I think were miss-attributed for value purposes. I would argue each and every one of them though as they all looked Germanic to me!

In the Germans we see it as far back as the mid 19th century if not earlier with Neuner and Hornsteiner. These were two family names that go back centuries in Mittenwald. Some of them worked individually and some as the N&H firm. Now all the Basses seen by them have these outer moldings. In the 20th century we see just about every 'Shop' Bass and imported brand label with Linings from Morelli, Pfretschner, Juzek, Hoffner etc with the outer Linings as if that is THE way to make a Bass. I wonder why none of the current hand-builders we know do this here in USA. Pollmann still does it but only in the German models. All of the Italian models are lining-free from the outside.

As far back as the late 18th century English makers have used Moldings on the Ribs as well. We have seen this with Hill, Lott/Dodd, Fendt, Furber and to some degree with Forster using square Molded Corners but not exclusively to Forster on the Corners.

The earliest Italian Bass I have seen with Linings/Moldings is one by Beretta, a Guadagnini school maker, c1770-'90. These are narrow width Linings under 1/2" wide. I have a Martini from 1919 (earliest seen example of his work) with wide flat outer linings about 3/4" width. I have seen mostly wide-flat Moldings on the English Basses but a few of the narrow form. I have seen a late (c.1908) Neuner-Horn. with wide-flat strips as well.

In talking about Bass Schools we must group the English with the rest of the British Isles as well. With the German School, add bordering Austrian and Bohemian makers. I don't think the 'inland' Bohemians, Moravians or Austrian/Viennese makers used outer Linings on the Basses and this goes for Hungary and Romania. These Schools besides being somewhat loyal to Stainer also copied the great Italian works as far as the Violin thru Cellos go. The Basses though kept the Viol/Gamba from for the most part.

Here are some examples of various Lining/Molding styles from Basses that I have or have passed thru me. Please feel free to Post your own 'Lining' pics for discussion and comparison as well.

Here are a few Germans, 19th, and 20st Century;

Here's an old Kay that we are so familiar with;

And here's my Martini with wide flat outer Linings/Moldings that have been used by the English as well as a an occasional Italian;

So, show your outer Lining/Molding Pics if you got em..

By the way, besides extra gluing surface area for the Top and Back plates, what other advantages do you see these Linings may have? Stiffening up the Ribs? Will that cause the Top to crack more when the Back shrinks each Winter? Does it help the Tone of the Bass? Does it make the Bass deeper or brighter sounding or is it mostly just decoration? Luthiers? Please share your insights and experience here..